How to Avoid Common Match Deposit Pitfalls
Visit any online casino review site and you're sure to see several posts from players complaining about how they were ripped off by a casino whilst taking part in a match bonus offer. Although occasionally the named casino may indeed be of the rogue variety, more often than not, the disgruntled player may have fallen for one of the many match deposit bonus pitfalls. But such mistakes can easily be avoided. Before committing to any bonus offer you should always do your homework and study the bonus policy on the casino's website.
The Most Typical Match Deposit Bonus Pitfall
Not familiarising yourself with the bonus Terms and Conditions is the most common pitfall. Every casino promotion comes with its own set of rules and regulations. These can be found under the Bonus T&Cs, but most casinos also have a General T&Cs section which also should be read carefully before availing of any promotional offer. The rules and regulations page usually contains the following information:
- What a match deposit means - for example if the match bonus is set at 100% and you deposit $200 then you'll have $400 to play with
- If the bonus is for new players only
- If the bonus is for the first deposit only
- If you have to opt in or use a special code before claiming the match deposit
- The amount of the minimum deposit
- Details of playthrough requirements, wagering contributions and restricted games
Playthrough Vs Wagering Contributions
Playthrough requirements are also known as wagering requirements. If the playthrough is say, x20 and the promo is $100 then you have to bet $2000 (20 x 100) before you can cash out. Some sites expect you to wager both the bonus plus your deposit. Essentially, cashing out too soon before the correct playthrough is met is a major issue.
Wagering Contributions: If you have to wager $2000 before withdrawing, be aware that not all games will allow you to work through your match promo at the same rate. If slots contribute 100% this means every $1 you bet will be a $1 off your playthrough. However, if video poker contributes 50%, then every bet of $1 will only shave $.50 off your wagering requirements. A further obstacle to steer clear of is playing restricted games such as those with a high RTP or jackpot slots.
Other Match Deposit Misunderstandings
Even if you think you understand all the basic rewards rules and restrictions there still may be a few match deposit bonus pitfalls you are actually not aware of. Some policies which you may overlook include:
- Promotions are usually limited to one household, even if all family members want a piece of the action
- You may have a limited time of one or two weeks to claim the offer once you've signed up for your new account
- You may be restricted on the maximum amount you can bet - this is often set at $5 or so and if you bet over this your winnings more than likely will be voided.
- Signing up for the same bonus more than once is a deal-breaker at all casinos, which have no time for bonus abusers